It has been a long drawn out process, but we are finally getting close, the building inspector came in yesterday and other than for a couple of small things still needing to be done we are there. I have the shop set up for my use and after a lot of walking at the last shop I placed the equipment/tools in a manner that creates mini work stations, it should reduce wasted foot steps. I was able to hang op some pictures on the walls (still have more to place). I did get some machining done on the 42 U series cam cover that was broken in the past by the wrong oil pressure switch being forced into the cover, welding the cover and the subsequent machining to two gasket surfaces needed was not the best choice in my opinion.  I have been working with the set of re machined 1942 Big twin Flathead flywheels that has been a bit of a puzzle, but I got it late this afternoon. The crank pin tapers were enlarged to the size of  41 -E81 taper and when I assembled the wheels I had .060 clearance between the rear rod and the flywheels. The specs years ago were less than .020, I thought about having thicker thrust washers made up at first, but it did not set well with me I was missing something…. I pulled the nuts on the crank pin down from 135 ft lbs torque to 175 and the clearance reduced to .055. I read that Harley used to “pull a tapered pin into a new set of flywheels when new to a depth of .060, and I have heard about crank pin’s being pressed into the new wheels to I will call it “set the tapers”, but I cannot verify the “press method”. Long story short after I figured out how to”set the new tapers” as l call it in the flywheels and worked with the flywheels and crank pin torques I now have the clearance between the rear rod and the flywheels @ .019. I went this way because If there was something to this “setting of the tapers” my fear was that the flywheels could become loose when the engine was running even though the nuts would never move, I have seen similar things take place, look at the belt drive pulleys that came loose with the nuts still locked in place, the spacers became “compressed” under the clamp load’s. Lesson’s learned.

IMG_0043IMG_0041IMG_0038

IMG_0035

 

IMG_0098